Wedding Speeches – Should I or Shouldn’t I?
As with many modern wedding traditions it is what you make of it. There is no one telling you , you have to do it. If the idea of making a speech makes you feel uncomfortable and anxious, then would it be the best idea for you to do it?
Would it take your thoughts away from other special moments throughout of the day? Could you enjoy your ceremony if you’re thinking about tanking in your speech? If it created this much angst for you, you could always have someone speak on your behalf. Someone you trust such as your partner or friends.
You may feel more comfortable taking people you wish to thank aside at your reception. This may work better for them also if praising them in front of everyone would make them uncomfortable.
For many reasons though, if you can move past this fear it’s an ideal time to speak. You will never get a better opportunity to show your heart felt appreciation for someone in your life. Much planning goes into a wedding and you have called upon many people to be part of your day. There is no better time for you to say thank you.
As a photographer, the speeches can be a fabulous time to capture laughter, sentiment and tears. These are the main reasons why I love my job, being able to capture raw unguarded moments. The real love that people show for each other, in my view, is priceless.
Here is a summary of some pros and cons. Ultimately , after all your consideration, it comes down to one simple statement, which is, Do you actually want to speak?
If the answer no, then ask, “If I didn’t would I have regrets?”
Either way its your choice!
- With structured speeches run by the MC you reduce the chance of people speaking if you don’t want them to.
- There will never be a better time to show your appreciation.
- Letting someone speak may be a great honour for them if they have not been otherwise included.
- You give others an insight into your story / life and appreciate the commitment you’ve made to each other.
- Crippled by the thought of public speaking? You will be out of your comfort zone and it can impact the feeling of the day.
- Things can go south very quickly if a person giving the speech puts there foot in it. We’ve all seen the Wedding Singer.
- Speeches can drag on if you don’t have structure. Choose your MC wisely.
If you have made the decision that you want to have speeches click here for the list of who you may want to speak.